iPad Parenting

Right, come on then, lets be havin' ya, hands up- who practices iPad parenting?!



Because I absolutely DO and I have little/no shame. I need that little square of colour and cartoons. I need the YouTube Kids app. I need those little (sometimes large) moments where she is so engrossed in a video I can make and wash up a whole meal and still have time time for a few rounds of Woody Puzzle on my phone.

Before having a kid, I was the classic holier than thou "My child will be outside and playing and never ever ever watching TV or an iPad!" Oh pre child Emma you fool. I am actually quite endeared by my own naivety. It's actually adorable to think that I would have the energy to survive parenting without electronics. 



My child loves running about, she get's lots of fresh air, she is wildly intelligent but sometimes, she does NOT know how to chill. Unless there is a screen in front of her. Thats awful really, that I use a screen to slow her down. Sometimes though, it is for both of us. Sometimes she needs to knock it down a few levels, calm it down and what better way than a nice YouTube video of another kid playing with noisy toys and opening an egg...?

So what is this? I'm so new to this because I don't know a lot of children (except at work but that is different AF) and apparently it is a really big thing. I have watched on as my child watches intently someone else play with a surprise egg thing and then been floored to see that this video has millions and millions of hits!?

So I understand unboxing is a thing, and I quite like that, is it the childrens version of that? Whatever it is, my kid is INTO IT. And I feel bad because I haven't ever given her a surprise egg of her own. She can't have a kinder egg, because that'd be cute, but the milk thing. Should I be getting her one of these toy ones? Is it worth it, are they good? Should I go out there and find some kind of egg with a creature inside? They're expensive, no? I feel like maybe I should just to see... but then the iPad comes on and I remember, she doesn't need to do real playing, she can just sit here and be brainwashed by YouTubers right?! Silly me.

No comments